Synthetic hair can be a great way to change up your look or add volume and length to your hair. However, synthetic hair can also be shiny, which can make it look unnatural.
There are a few different ways to make synthetic hair less shiny, including using dry shampoo, baby powder, fabric softener, apple cider vinegar, and styling products.
Why Does Synthetic Hair Shine?
The plastic fibers are coated with a shiny, protective layer to make them look more like natural hair.
This protective layer is what makes synthetic hair look shiny and unnatural. Additionally, synthetic hair is not porous like natural hair, which means it does not absorb oils and moisture from the scalp, which can also contribute to shine.
How Can I Make My Synthetic Wig Look Natural?
To make your synthetic wig look natural, you can follow these tips and techniques:
- Choose the right wig: Select a wig that closely matches your natural hair color, texture, and style. It will make it easier to blend the wig with your hair and enhance its overall natural appearance.
- Customize the wig: Synthetic wigs often come pre-styled, but you can customize them to suit your preferences. Trim the wig to the desired length or style, ensuring it complements your face shape. However, be cautious when cutting the wig, as synthetic fibers cannot grow back like natural hair.
- Adjust the hairline: One of the telltale signs of a wig is an unnatural hairline. To create a more realistic look, you can pluck a few hairs from the front of the wig to create a softer and more natural hairline. Be gentle during this process to avoid damaging the wig.
- Use a wig cap: Wear a wig cap that matches your skin tone before putting on the wig. The wig cap helps to secure your natural hair, keeps it flat, and provides a smooth base for the wig to sit on. It also helps to prevent the wig from slipping or moving around.
- Style with heat-resistant products: Some synthetic wigs are heat-resistant, meaning you can use low-heat styling tools such as flat irons or curling irons to create different looks. Be sure to use heat-resistant styling products specifically designed for synthetic wigs to protect the fibers from damage.
- Blend with your natural hair: If you have any hair exposed around the wig, try to blend it with the wig for a seamless look. Use a comb or brush to gently blend the wig’s hair with your hair, ensuring there are no visible gaps or inconsistencies.
- Add accessories: Consider adding accessories like headbands, scarves, or hats to enhance the natural look of your wig further. These accessories help create a more effortless and integrated style, giving the illusion of your hair.
Take care of your wig: Proper maintenance is crucial for keeping your synthetic wig looking natural. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and styling, and store it on a wig stand or in a proper container when not in use to maintain its shape and prevent tangling.
Remember, while these tips can help make your synthetic wig look more natural, it may never look exactly like your own hair. However, with proper care and styling techniques, you can achieve a beautiful and realistic appearance.
Read Also: How to Make Synthetic Hair Not Tangle
Impact of Shine on a Style
Shine can make synthetic hair look unrealistic and artificial. It can also make the hair appear greasy and dirty, even if it’s clean. Shine can be particularly problematic for people who wear wigs or hair extensions because the hair is often in close proximity to the face, making any unnatural shine more obvious.
Reducing shine can help synthetic hair look more natural and blend in better with natural hair.
Common Methods to Make Synthetic Hair Less Shiny
There are several common methods for reducing shine on synthetic hair, including using baby powder, dry shampoo, or talcum powder.
However, these methods can be messy and time-consuming, and they may not work for everyone. Additionally, some people may be allergic to certain breakouts on the scalp.
Professional Stylist to Make Synthetic Hair Less Shiny
As a professional stylist, I have learned some secrets for reducing shine on synthetic hair that are more effective and less messy than standard methods.
One of the most effective ways to reduce shine is to use a mattifying powder or spray. These products are designed to reduce shine on synthetic hair and are easy to apply.
Spray the product onto the hair or apply it with a brush or sponge applicator. Mattifying powders and sprays are available at most beauty supply stores and online.
Another secret to reducing shine on synthetic hair is to use a hair serum or oil. You can apply these products to your hair to add shine and reduce frizz, making the hair look more natural.
However, choosing a serum or oil specifically designed for synthetic hair is essential, as natural hair products can cause buildup and damage to synthetic hair.
Products and Tools For Reducing Shine
Several products and tools can be used to reduce shine on synthetic hair, including:
- Mattifying powder or spray
- Hair serum or oil
- Synthetic hair-specific shampoo and conditioner
- Silicone-free styling products
- Boar bristle brush or a wide-tooth comb
- Heat protectant spray
These products and tools can help synthetic hair look more natural and blend in better with natural hair.
Maintenance and Care to Make Synthetic Hair Less Shiny
In addition to using the right products and tools, it’s important to take good care of synthetic hair to reduce shine. It includes washing the hair regularly with synthetic hair-specific shampoo and conditioner, avoiding heat styling tools as much as possible, and using a heat protectant spray when heat styling is necessary.
DIY Methods to Make Synthetic Hair Less Shiny
If you prefer a DIY approach to reducing shine on synthetic hair, there are several methods you can try.
Apply to the hair, and rinse thoroughly. It is possible to make synthetic hair less shiny by using these methods, but they may not work for everyone.
Additional Tips For Working With Synthetic Hair
- Always brush or comb synthetic hair gently to avoid damaging the fibers.
- Avoid using hot water when washing synthetic hair.
- Use a wig cap or hair net to keep synthetic hair in place and prevent it from slipping or shifting.
- Avoid exposing synthetic hair.
These tips can help you get the most out of your synthetic hair and keep it looking natural and beautiful.
Synthetic hair can be a great way to change up your look or add length and volume to your natural hair. However, the shine that often comes with synthetic hair can make it look unnatural and unappealing.
By using the right products and tools, taking good care of your hair, and following these professional stylist secrets, you can make synthetic hair less shiny and achieve a more natural and subtle look.
Harsh chemicals and heat styling tools, and take good care of your synthetic hair to keep it looking its best. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to wear synthetic hair with confidence and style!
You Might Also Like: Health Benefits of Groundnut